No one ever expects to get hurt, but in the event that you do suffer a serious injury that is caused by another person’s negligence, you may find yourself searching high and low for an experienced personal injury attorney to help you get justice. Most people looking for an attorney have never dealt with a situation like this before, so it can be hard to know which lawyer will be best for you. With a little hard work, however, you’ll be able to hire a lawyer who will make you feel completely at ease during the entire process and who will effectively represent you and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
What Questions Should You Ask a Potential Personal Injury Lawyer?
Before signing a contract with any attorney, you need to take the time to interview him. That’s right, it’s up to you to ask the right questions before hiring anyone. Consider the answers each attorney gives you as well as how comfortable you feel during each meeting.
Here are a few questions to ask:
- How long have you been practicing law?
- While everyone has to start somewhere, you will probably feel the most comfortable working with an attorney who has several years of experience, especially in personal injury cases. An attorney with years of experience representing people in contract negotiations may not be the best lawyer to represent you in your car wreck case.
- How many cases have you handled that are similar to mine?
- Although many attorneys will have an impressive list of past cases, how many of them were similar to your own? For example, if your claim involves a specific type of injury – such as a medical malpractice or a burn injury – you should ensure that the attorney has handled cases involving that specific injury. Similarly, if your injury was caused by a defective product or by a collision with an 18-wheeler, you should confirm that the attorney has successfully represented victims injured in a similar manner. Choosing a lawyer who has worked on a similar case will prove helpful in long run.
- How many personal injury cases have you tried to a verdict?
- Most personal injury cases don’t go to trial. The vast majority are settled out of court and yours probably will be settled as well. However, if your case doesn’t settle, you want to make sure that your lawyer has experience actually trying personal injury lawsuits before a jury. Obviously, you also should be confident that your attorney has a successful track record of actually winning the personal injury cases he tries.
As basic as these questions may seem, the answers you are given will give you a better understanding on how experienced the lawyer may be at handling your case.
Will You Be Able to Fully Trust Your Lawyer?
In order to have a successful case, you need to fully trust your lawyer. This means selecting a law firm that you feel comfortable working with. While all lawyers must abide by a strict confidentiality agreement, you need to feel at ease giving them all the facts surrounding your case. A working relationship built on trust is very important when you are looking for the best personal injury lawyer.
How Often Will You Be Able to Speak with Your Lawyer?
Retaining a lawyer does you no good if you’re never able to schedule an appointment or if he is not available to answer your questions about the case. Find out if you will be able to speak with the lawyer directly, or if you will have to go through a an assistant or paralegal. Make sure you know the office hours and how to get in touch during non-business hours.
With a little bit of patience and the right questions, you’ll be able to find the right personal injury lawyer for your case.